10.10.2011

planning

"when you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

In the past few months, I’ve noticed our food expenses gradually growing and growing, until last month, it finally hit me. we spend a disgusting amount of money on groceries and dining out. a disgusting amount. now that I’m back to normal after my surgery, I have a newfound focus and drive to get our spending habits under control. one thing I have done in the past with great success is meal planning. it’s a habit that, when I stick to it, saves us countless last-minute trips to the grocery store and significantly cuts back on dining out.
 So yesterday, armed with a big mug of coffee, a pantry inventory, and a stack of cookbooks, I planned out our meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) for the next two weeks. I am hoping to cut our current food expenses in half. let’s see how I do!

I like to use a menu planner (such as this free printable from organizedhome.com).
 Here’s my plan for this week:
Sunday:
B - French toast, sausage links
L - Minestrone soup
D - Baked chicken, sautéed zucchini
Misc - zucchini bread
Monday:
B - zucchini bread, yogurt w/ jam
L - minestrone soup, hummus sandwiches
D - leftover chicken and veggies
Tuesday:
B - leftover French toast, banana
L - minestrone soup, chicken wraps
D - lasagna, salad
Wednesday: (girls’ night at our place)
B - cereal, milk, banana
L - leftover lasagna, veggie sticks
D - frozen pizza for Ryan / appetizers potluck for me (I’m making spinach dip and apple cake)
Thursday:
B - oatmeal, applesauce
L - leftover lasagna, veggie sticks
D - turkey burgers, oven fries, pickles, carrot and celery sticks in ranch
Friday:
B - cereal or oatmeal w/ banana
L - leftover lasagna for me, sandwich, carrots, and chips for Ryan
D - homemade pizza, salad
Saturday:
Brunch - salsa eggs
D - chicken and rice casserole, garlicky-lemon green beans

No comments:

Post a Comment